TXPPM on newer Ubuntu releases

Installation and usage on Linux / Installation unter Linux
bazsound

TXPPM on newer Ubuntu releases

Post by bazsound »

I seen on your website that you link to TXPPM software to use audio input from sound as a joystick interface, however the deb packages dont install properly, and compiling from source gives errors. Ive played around with the source for hours and just cant get it to work.

it seems that as of 12.04 TXPPM doesnt work, develompment seems to have stopped on that project and theres no contact information for the DEV.

It would be nice to find a solution to getting this working with recent versions of linux or just incorporating it into the flight sim. I have another flight sim that does this within the program, howveer it was never developed further, looks rubbish and models fly horribly.
ThomasC

Re: TXPPM on newer Ubuntu releases

Post by ThomasC »

I never tried this myself, but I tried Smartpropo-Plus under the Windows OS (with Heli-X) and found the control to be way too unprecise. Maybe this is the cause why development has stopped. The audio jack method might have worked fine in times of transmitters with PCM output on the DSC jack, but IMHO it's way too limited to be useful nowadays. How about spending a few bucks for a PPM-USB converter? Those are sufficiently precise as the sample rate is not limited to 48 kHz ...
bazsound

Post by bazsound »

ThomasC wrote:I never tried this myself, but I tried Smartpropo-Plus under the Windows OS (with Heli-X) and found the control to be way too unprecise. Maybe this is the cause why development has stopped. The audio jack method might have worked fine in times of transmitters with PCM output on the DSC jack, but IMHO it's way too limited to be useful nowadays. How about spending a few bucks for a PPM-USB converter? Those are sufficiently precise as the sample rate is not limited to 48 kHz ...
With decend soundcard interfaces its possible to have sample rates upto 96khz and also with very low latencies.

Code: Select all

alex@alex-MS-7309:~$ arecord -f dat -r 60000 -d 5 test.wav
Recording WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 60000 Hz, Stereo
I was able to record with a sample rate of 60khz , this may be down to jack sound server and that my interface actually doesnt suppert beyond 48khz (as its integrated nvidia chipset) but there are soundcards that are not that expensive like soundblaster audigy cards that support upto 96khz.

anyway i do plan on getting a pcm to usb adapter, but at the moment i dont have a pcm usb TX yet . Im testing out heli sims using a txppm rx android app.

There are still TX;s that have the dsc port with a 3.5mm jack on them.

Edit:

I managed to find an email for the developer and he very quickly got back to me explaining that he had been really busy and he thinks that he can fix it.
ThomasC

Post by ThomasC »

well, makes me curious I must admit. Within the Smartpropo Plus solution a full stick movement resolved to about 18 to 20 "steps" at 48KHz, and that way the control is much too jerky for training. Even with 96KHz you're limited to about 40 steps, but maybe this is enough, I am curious to read about your experiences. I would not buy a better sound card in order to do PPMJOY, as a PPM2USB adaptor only costs about 10 dollars ;)
bazsound

Post by bazsound »

ThomasC wrote:well, makes me curious I must admit. Within the Smartpropo Plus solution a full stick movement resolved to about 18 to 20 "steps" at 48KHz, and that way the control is much too jerky for training. Even with 96KHz you're limited to about 40 steps, but maybe this is enough, I am curious to read about your experiences. I would not buy a better sound card in order to do PPMJOY, as a PPM2USB adaptor only costs about 10 dollars ;)
I havnt tried that one since i run linux, i did try running it under wine but it didnt even install.

Hopefully TXPPM will be better, but until i get a proper transmitter i probably wont be able to tell as the phone app isnt ideal. CRRCSIM was unflyable using the phone app.

I might pickup a cheap USB pc gamepad that has 2 anologue sticks to try out untill i get a DEVO 7E.
ThomasC

Post by ThomasC »

I personally would recommend the E-Sky EK2-0905A as I use it myself for simtraining. I would not recommend a Devo7e because the range is quite limited (Walkera says it transmits with about 10mW) and there are too few switches. I fly with a Devo7, but would not recommend it, either, because of several reasons (difficult to program, no USB port). Think about a Devo10 :)
bazsound

Post by bazsound »

ThomasC wrote:I personally would recommend the E-Sky EK2-0905A as I use it myself for simtraining. I would not recommend a Devo7e because the range is quite limited (Walkera says it transmits with about 10mW) and there are too few switches. I fly with a Devo7, but would not recommend it, either, because of several reasons (difficult to program, no USB port). Think about a Devo10 :)
I originally wanted to get the devo 10 but due to circumstances i may not be able to afford it with the heli im getting which is the super CP. I know about the range issue with the devo 7e with larger helis and wouldnt fly a larger heli with that TX. With Devation though apparently its possible to increase the power by removing a diode .

As for switches, im sure i read a topic about adding extra swtiches.

The devo 7e might have to do until i can afford to get a better transmitter if i move upto anything bigger than a micro heli
DrGreenthumb

Post by DrGreenthumb »

Hello
I have compiled the software on my gentoo linux box and tested it on an ubuntu machine at work.
It is compiled for x86_64.
http://green.prost-germany.de/ppm2tx

The kernel module compiled very well on the ubuntu 12.0.4.02lts machine.

i hope it helps someone

Hallo zusammen
Das ist mein erstes Posting hier :)
Ich habe txppm auf meinem Gentoo Rechner gebaut. Weil hier wohl einige Probleme haben habe ich die Bin Datei meinem Arbeitsplatz getestet.
Es ist ein 64bit Ubuntu 12.04.02lts installiert und txppm läuft.
Ich habe es hier zum Download bereit gestellt: http://green.prost-germany.de/ppm2tx

Das Kernel Modul muß auf dem Zielrechner kompiliert werden. War hier auf dem Ubuntu rechner aber kein Problem.
Nur das Userspace Programm lies sich nicht bauen.