Heli-X 4.1 isn't starting in my Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit.

Installation and usage on Linux / Installation unter Linux
Lassi

Heli-X 4.1 isn't starting in my Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit.

Post by Lassi »

Hi. I've downloaded and extracted heli-x 4.1 to my desktop PC. But when I double click the runHELI-X.sh icon, there only comes a gedit window with following text in it:

#!/bin/bash
SYSTEMNAME=linux-i586
#SYSTEMNAME=linux-amd64
cd $( dirname $0 )

# JAVAPATH=/usr/java/jre1.6.0_03/bin/
JAVAPATH=$(dirname "$(which java)")

LIBPATH="$PWD/libs/"

LIBS="$LIBS:$LIBPATH/jogl/$SYSTEMNAME/"
LIBS="$LIBS:$LIBPATH/lwjgl/$SYSTEMNAME/"
LIBS="$LIBS:$LIBPATH/joal/$SYSTEMNAME/"
LIBS="$LIBS:$LIBPATH/gluegen/$SYSTEMNAME/"
LIBS="$LIBS:$LIBPATH/jinput/$SYSTEMNAME/"

JARPATH="$PWD/libs"
CP="$CP:$JARPATH/HeliX/HeliX.jar"
CP="$CP:$JARPATH/gluegen/gluegen-rt.jar"
CP="$CP:$JARPATH/jagatoo/jagatoo.jar"
CP="$CP:$JARPATH/javagamenetworking/jgn.jar"
CP="$CP:$JARPATH/jdom/jdom.jar"
CP="$CP:$JARPATH/joal/joal.jar"
CP="$CP:$JARPATH/jogl/jogl.jar"
CP="$CP:$JARPATH/lwjgl/lwjgl.jar"
CP="$CP:$JARPATH/jinput/jinput.jar"
CP="$CP:$JARPATH/math/openmali.jar"
CP="$CP:$JARPATH/xith/xith3d.jar"
CP="$CP:$JARPATH/xith/hud-themes.jar"
CP="$CP:$JARPATH/sound/jogg-0.0.7.jar"
CP="$CP:$JARPATH/sound/jorbis-0.0.15.jar"
CP="$CP:$JARPATH/sound/tritonus_share.jar"

$JAVAPATH/java -Xmx512m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -Djava.library.path="$LIBS" -classpath "$CP" HELIX

My system specs are as follows: Intel® Core™2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz × 2
Linux 3.2.0-31-generic
GeForce 7900 GT/GTO with 256 MB memory
NVIDIA Driver Version: 295.49
java version "1.6.0_24"

Any advice, what could be the problem? It doesn't look like a error message to me, but something is not right. :?:

Lassi
Michael

Re: Heli-X 4.1 isn't starting in my Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit.

Post by Michael »

Hello,

you have to start the script.

CD to the HELI-X directory

chmod u+x runHELI-X.sh

Then start with

./runHELI-X.sh

Michael
Lassi

Post by Lassi »

OK. I've tried what u told me and now I can get to the heli-x. Thanks alot for your help Michael.

I don't have sounds in the sim because there comes an error message "openAL sound driver couldn't be found", but I can live with that.

I've not tried flying yet becouse I don't have a sim controller available yet. Instead I tried to use my Logitech game yoke but HELI-X doensn't
seem to recognise it. Well, I'll have to tinker with that tomorrow.

I would of thought that u can fly also with keyboard for starters but it isn't possible I guess?

BTW, In the MS Windows, there's a menu "Game controllers" where you can configure yokes and make sure that they are working correctly.
What's the equivalent in Ubuntu or is there any? And yes, I'm new in Linux systems. :lol:

Lassi
Lassi

Post by Lassi »

Hello again. Now I've got an E-sky six channel 35 MHz transmitter which has been in use by my friend.
The radio has been working OK for him in rc-sim use.

Now, when I plugged it in to my PC, it doesn't seem to recognise the controller at all. When I'm trying to start the heli-x,
there comes a pop-up window, (the same as with the Logitech game yoke) which says: No controller found.
Note: the red light in the controllers USB lead is flashing when I connect the contr. to an USB port. I think that's the way it should do.

When I'm trying to open the sim in the terminal, there comes following script(in addition to other messages):

INFO: Failed to open device (/dev/input/event0): Failed to open device /dev/input/event0 (13)

30.9.2012 22:52:26 net.java.games.input.ControllerEnvironment log
INFO: Failed to open device (/dev/input/event1): Failed to open device /dev/input/event1 (13)

and that goes on and on.
Now It seems that the fault is not with the heli-x but instead with the OS itself. Anyway, if somebody has struggled with this
problem before, and succeeded in finding a solution, then I would be very thankful for a good advice.

Lassi
Michael

Post by Michael »

... you should help the OS to access the hardware:

chmod 777 /dev/input/e* (as root)

Michael
Lassi

Post by Lassi »

well, I tried to do that:

I typed in the terminal:

sudo chmod 777 /dev/input/e*

Then it's asking my password, which I then typed in. But then, umm nothing happened or at least I didn't noticed.
When I tried to start the heli-x after that, the problem persists. (contr. not found)

Is this "sudo" command ok for this? Because I've read from somewhere that using root priviledges is dangerous,
if you don't know exactly, what you are doing. And I'm not so familiarised with ubu. yet. :roll:

Well, I've tried that <jstest /dev/input/js0> command after reading this post and thread (using a net translator). viewtopic.php?f=9&t=713#p3421
and when I was moving the sticks with the terminal still open, numbers after the different axes were running up and down, so at least ubuntu has somehow recognised my radio.
But the simulator has obviously not.

More tinkering tomorrow, thanks anyway.

Lassi
Michael

Post by Michael »

You might need two commands

chmod 777 /dev/input/js0

sudo chmod 777 /dev/input/e*

If this does not work, please post the output in the console window.

Michael
ThomasC

Post by ThomasC »

Tried to run Heli-X under Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit. There were no problems. Controller was recognized without any chmod

Maybe your USB-PPM-adaptor has some problem. Some of these adaptors (I own a Walkera UB-001 which has this problem) cannot be operated when connected to a USB Hub. If this is the case, try connecting the adaptor directly to your PC and see if it helps.
Lassi

Post by Lassi »

Hello again.

To ThomasC: If I understood right, you were asking that what port I'm using when connecting the controller to an USB port.
Well, I don't have any external USB-hubs between the controller and PC. I've tried to use two different USB ports, and one of them
is directly soldered to the motherboard.

To Michael: As you can see from below, when I'm running those codes what you have advised, there's no any output to post.
However, there's some data coming out when I'm running this command: jstest /dev/input/js0

name@name-desktop:~$ chmod 777 /dev/input/js0
chmod: muutettaessa tiedoston ”/dev/input/js0” oikeuksia: Toiminto ei ole sallittu ----> Translation: chmod: when changing rights for file ”/dev/input/js0”: Function is not allowed
name@name-desktop:~$ sudo chmod 777 /dev/input/js0
[sudo] password for name:
name@name-desktop:~$ sudo chmod 777 /dev/input/e*
name@name-desktop:~$ jstest /dev/input/js0
Driver version is 2.1.0.
Joystick (Љ PPM) has 5 axes (X, Y, Z, Rx, Ry)
and 3 buttons (Trigger, ThumbBtn, ThumbBtn2).
Testing ... (interrupt to exit)
Axes: 0: 0 1: 0 2: 0 3: 0 4: 0 Buttons: 0:off 1:off 2:off ------> and the axes are working when moving the sticks.

But still, after that, when trying to start the simul., there comes a window "no controller found"

But thanks for the input, both of you,
Lassi
machine

Post by machine »

ok i see you have got heli-x to run but are having joystick problems, try this

open terminal

sudo apt-get install jscal (enter)
let it install

then go to software center and search for "jstest-gtk" and install

run jstest-gtk, it will be in applicatioin, system tools menu, run it and follow directions to calibrate

go back to terminal, but log in as root, type sudo bash(enter) then your password

then type:
"jscal -p /dev/input/js0 > /etc/joystick.cal" without the quotes, this will save your joystick config as a file

now from the terminal (still as root)
type:
"gedit (and the start up script you use) the easy way to do this is, open your file browser to the heli-x folder and drag the start up script from the list to the terminal, and press enter

how you will see the start up script with gedit, there is a blank line inbetween the code close to the bottom of the script, insert this command on the blank line

"source /etc/joystick.cal" again without the quotes, now save it, close gedit, and terminal

now plug make sure joystick is pluged in and run heli-x

sorry if that all seems confusing, linux has a learning curve, thats about the easiest way to do it being as you are new to this os.

let me know how it goes
Machine