SOLVED: joystick problems

Installation and usage on Linux / Installation unter Linux
corymarsh

SOLVED: joystick problems

Post by corymarsh »

If you get trouble calibrating your joystick in Linux, be sure to install the jscal program (check your package manager). There might be several joystick calibrators in your distro for the joydev kernel module (I can think of 3). I had the best luck with jscal. Other programs reported good calibration settings, but HELI-X was still erratic.

jscal -c /dev/input/js0
(follow instructions)
jstest --normal /dev/input/js0
(should give good results, to save calibration:)
echo "#!/bin/sh" > ~/calibrate.sh
jscal -p >> ~/calibrate.sh
chmod +x ~/calibrate.sh

to restore after reboot:
~/calibrate.sh

good luck!
machine

Re: SOLVED: joystick problems

Post by machine »

Having an odd problem with 4.1 calibrated my moded turnigy 9x radio, i used a usb adapter, after calibration with jscal worked perfectly, but when i restart heli-x 4.1 calibration is off, version 3.0 works fine, only have this issue with new version, after jscal recalibration its fine until i restart heli-x, any ideas?

Thanks
Machine

ok i figured it out, here is what i did.

removed the "joystick" package form ubuntu software center

installed "jstest-gtk" package from software center (calibration is much faster than using jscal from terminal)

after i calibrated my radio, i saved it to a file (must be root)
code: jscal -p /dev/input/js0 > /etc/joystick.cal

open the which ever start up script you use, i use "runHELI-X_sound_padsp.sh"

add this to the script
code: source /etc/joystick.cal

save it, and you should be good to go.

it was an odd problem, the config sticks in version 3.0, but in 4.1 if i changed a setting that required Heli-X to restart the config would stick, but if i closed it and reopened it or disconnected my usb adapter the config would be messed up.

hope this helps
Machine