recommended controller / adapter?

Installation and usage on Windows / Installation unter Windows
websiteauthor

recommended controller / adapter?

Post by websiteauthor »

Heli-x looks like a great program for me - I'm new to RC but want to learn how to fly quads, leading up to a DJI Phantom.

Can you recommend a specific controller or two (with any needed adapters) to best simulate flying a Phantom? One available in the US would be the best as I live in Texas.

I saw the link to amazon search results on this site, but I have no clue which would be best for my specific needs.

FYI I'm using 64-bit Win 7 system with a Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 graphics card.

Thanks for any recommendations!
Mgfiest

Re: recommended controller / adapter?

Post by Mgfiest »

if all you are gonna do is quad... HobbyKing 6CH R/C Flight Simulator

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... de_2_.html

it's cheap and simple to use.
Briseham

Post by Briseham »

But the HobbyKing product does not work in Windows 8 !
And neither do all (?) the similar products aaiable on eBay or Amazon - as far as I can see.
But there must be one ... hopefully !
Please, can anyone assist ? There is surely a reasonably sized market for USB controllers, say 6 channel, that are not true TXrs + adapter/interface cable ?
Michael

Post by Michael »

Hello,

this controller comes with the (very old) flight simulator FMS. There is no reason why the controller should not work on W8.1, however, the FMS might not work, but it is not needed when you use HELI-X.

Michael
Briseham

Post by Briseham »

Well, I don't have the Hobby King one - which is not stated Win 8 compatible. But I have one of the many similar products shown on eBay and Amazon. They are all very similar and whilst most are just silent on this issue in their specs. (just stating OK on XP, 2000 .. and excluding Vista and certainly Win 8) a few of the more honest sites clearly state that 'more advanced systems' (e.g. Win 8) 'are not supported' - or similar wording.
And the one I have, seemingly represenative of many, does NOT work on Win 8.
Michael

Post by Michael »

I know that Win8 might have some problems, but with Win 8.1 the situation should be better.

Isn't the controller seen as joystick in the system settings?

Michael
Briseham

Post by Briseham »

Thanks, Michael.
I should have written Win 8.1, that's what I'm using. I, too, a little naively expected this to work, but I can see that the more honest suppliers seem to be aware of the problem - thus the OS compatibility statement - but they don't supply a driver solution as far as I can see. This is one of these frustrating issues that drive one nuts ..
Briseham

Post by Briseham »

Problem solved - sort of !
Michael is right, the very affordable HobbyKing 6ch controller sold bundled with an old version of FMS works OK with Win 8.1 (but not its FMS !), for I borrowed such a controller from my grandson. So I guess the message is: be careful if you use any of the many 'equivalent' models that seem to be similar e.g. the 'K Model'. The latter is suppose to be an 'all-in-one' controller, again bundled with s/w but I could not get it to work with Heli-X.
My only problem now is tweaking the configuration and regaining dexterity and hand-eye coordination ......
Thank you, Michael. It's a great program,
Dave