Weird helicopter twitch - SOLVED

Questions, in particular about the usage / Fragen vor allem zu Benutzung von HELI-X
EricM_SoCal

Weird helicopter twitch - SOLVED

Post by EricM_SoCal »

Hello,

I am still testing out the demo and I have only one problem that is preventing me from purchasing a license. I am using windows 7 64-bit, Hooshion® USB Flight Simulator FMS Cable for RC Helicopter Airplane Remote Controller, and a Spektrum DX6i.

I calibrated my controller through the controller configuration and have no jumping on the bars showing the realtime controller input. I am using 5 ch mode and ignoring DR/Expo and throttle/pitch curves.

Here's the issue, I am getting a weird twitch that throws the helicopter out of whack. I've attached a .fly file, if someone could take a look and let me know if there is a way to fix it that would be great. I am only touching the stick enough to hover and you will see that both sticks displayed on the screen move to the lower right quickly.

Best regards,

Eric
Attachments
twitch.zip
(29.09 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
Last edited by EricM_SoCal on 26 Jan 2015 06:46, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Re: Weird helicopter twitch

Post by Michael »

Hello,

as a first step, please:

1. Choose a setting for airplanes on the spectrum, not a heli mode
2. Do a calibration in the windows system settings
3. After that calibrate new in HELI-X

Michael
EricM_SoCal

Post by EricM_SoCal »

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your quick reply! I tried your instructions.

When I calibrate the transmitter in windows with the airplane mode I don't get full range on the collective channel so when I recalibrate Heli-x and then switch to my SimHeli idle up doesn't work. I get full range on the engine speed but the collective only goes from -70 to 0 with my pitch curve set as 10, 30, 50, 70, 90.

So I tried to recalibrate the transmitter in windows with Heli mode. This allowed me to get full range on collective and engines(none of the other axis are a problem in either scenario) but I am still getting that weird twitch you saw in the video I attached.

I was reading in the HeliFreak forum that people thought this was only a problem on the DX6i after version 4.2 was released. If you need me to dig in to any files for you I'd be happy to help, I really want this to work.

Thank you,

Eric
Michael

Post by Michael »

Hello,

do you get similar problems when you are using 4 channels instead of five?

Michael
EricM_SoCal

Post by EricM_SoCal »

Yes, I even tried adding a small dead band and it is still happening.
EricM_SoCal

Post by EricM_SoCal »

Any other ideas on this?
JS1

Post by JS1 »

Just guessing but maybe worth to check:

- Rarely seen static discharge issues causing twich. Check if the cable is rubbing over a surface back and forth when you use the transmitter (once saw this happening when rubbing over a textile covered mouse pad) - or if you charge by scratching your feet on a carpet. Grounding by touching a radiator or so could help.

- Cable/connectors could have a damage. check for squeezes or sharp bends. Also check if moving the cable/plugs affects the twitch - e.g. by idle up the heli and leave it on the ground, first don't touch the transmitter or cable, then only move/bend/stretch the cable and turn the plugs but don't move the radio itself (especially the sticks).
Modelling helis for Heli-X! See model build log here.
EricM_SoCal

Post by EricM_SoCal »

Thank you JS1, I was doing more research and some people seem to think that the trainer port on the dx6i is noisy and that is causing the issues. Maybe a wireless connection might be better for this radio.
JS1

Post by JS1 »

wouldn't a wireless adapter be plugged into the same trainer port?
Modelling helis for Heli-X! See model build log here.
EricM_SoCal

Post by EricM_SoCal »

No, after a little research I found a couple spektrum compatible receivers that output a PPM signal. This can be soldered to the USB dongle input signal and control the simulator. I haven't tested it yet but am ordering a orangerx 6 channel receiver with CPPM output. I will post these results here.