Am I that bad or .....

Questions, in particular about the usage / Fragen vor allem zu Benutzung von HELI-X
Fore

Am I that bad or .....

Post by Fore »

Using the Heli-x demo and Dx6i I am flying the Quad without problems.
When using the 3 other heli in the demo, they start drifting right after start also above ground-effect. Is it that difficult or ....
IRL I am flying F45 Raxorblade without big problems.

Any comments / suggestions?

/Birger
ThomasC

Re: Am I that bad or .....

Post by ThomasC »

Try flying the quads in flightmode 2 :) - and don't consider yourself "bad", instead name it "untrained". Heliflying is not easy.
Fore

Post by Fore »

Is it really correct that you have to work with the heli that much, even during hovering?
/Birger
ThomasC

Post by ThomasC »

ESPECIALLY during hovering. Some good pilot confirms that proper hovering is the most difficult task. See http://www.rchelicopter.co.uk/bmoves.htm - because of that buying and using a simulator is money well spent, really saves you a lot of bucks when trying to fly real model helis
Fore

Post by Fore »

Thanks a lot.
/Birger
StarLog

Post by StarLog »

I find hovering in real life much easier then in heli-x.
stever

Post by stever »

Sorry but can I ask a novice question (as I am a bad heli or untrained Heli pilot!)

The SIM in effect "Holds" the cyclic setting this surely does not happen on a real R/C Heli as the servos go back to a neutral position / or one modified by the trim setting on the controller - this "Holding" of the cyclic position makes the Heli very much harder to fly as it will run away from you without you have the option to let go of the cyclic and let it "settle" (center) or at least run away less quickly. Am I right in saying this or wrong?

Is this corrected in the full version as I am wanting a SIM that is a true representation of the real deal in flying r/c Helis?

Any advice welcome - thanks
Michael

Post by Michael »

This is the way, a helicopter works. It is the same with a car: Assume you are driving to North. Then you turn right to East and then you put the gear again straight. Then you are still driving to the east. There is nothing putting you in the North direction automatically.

The behaviour you expect is typically found in coaxial helicopters or in multicopters. There you can try it in HELI-X when you use the idle Up 1 mode, which is called there ACC.

Michael
stever

Post by stever »

Hi Michael, Not sure if I understand your answer?!

The SIMulation of the Heli acts like you never straighten up your car (in your explanation). I understand if you are flying Mode 2 - let go of the right hand stick, it centers and then returns the R/C Heli _ real life to an upright trimmed situation, yes it will still "drift" in what ever direction you previously set it too...

So if I take off - hit cyclic right, the R/C heli goes right (viewed from the rear) - I let go of the stick and it will center, the heli will start to stabilise itself and eventually stop going to the right. The SIM makes the Heli carry on at the same rate as though you have not centered the cyclic stick?.... This seems to be wrong to me, as i note on my Honey Bee 3 the servos all return to the "normal" position if i let go of the stick. Is Mode 1 very different?
ThomasC

Post by ThomasC »

@Stever: when you let go of the sticks, the Sim (especially when flying FBL models) should freeze the current orientation of your simulated model. If not, your sticks are not calibrated properly. It is true that hovering in the Sim is more difficult than in reality, but in my opinion that's in fact a good thing, as the training effect is better.

Have fun

ThomasC