DJI Phantom in Heli-X - direction?

For questions regarding the models and airports / Bei Fragen zu Modellen und Airports
dronediva

DJI Phantom in Heli-X - direction?

Post by dronediva »

Hi!
I am trying out the demo of Heli-X 5 with the DJI Phantom model. I noticed there is no tool on screen to see which way the copter is facing when it is far away. I need to know which way the front of the Phantom is facing when flying. Also, cannot get the FPV to work. Is that something that is not available in the demo? Are both features available in the paid version for this model?
ThomasC

Re: DJI Phantom in Heli-X - direction?

Post by ThomasC »

dronediva wrote:Hi!
I am trying out the demo of Heli-X 5 with the DJI Phantom model. I noticed there is no tool on screen to see which way the copter is facing when it is far away. I need to know which way the front of the Phantom is facing when flying. Also, cannot get the FPV to work. Is that something that is not available in the demo? Are both features available in the paid version for this model?
Hello dronediva,

the "detail view" window is a feature that is about to be released in the upcoming Heli-X v6. Will be released soon as far as I know (Michael knows it better, of course :) ). FPV only works in artificial scenarios, not in photograpic scenes.

Have fun :)

ThomasC

p.s. there is an option to start Heli-X twice, open a network session between the two instances, and let the second session zoom in on your simulator model. That way even Heli-X v5 has the detail view that you need. This is not practical with the demo, though, as both running instances will stop from time to time as long as you haven't registered. I would wait for the v6 - there's really plenty of improvements in there :)
dronediva

Post by dronediva »

Thanks for your reply! Im assuming that by pointing out the upcoming detail view, you are saying that it will include the option to show which way the front of the copter is pointing?
I have had a lot of sales people try to get me to buy the Phoenix RC, but for some reason I am really drawn to Heli-X. The movement of the copter seems more realistic in this sim and I think I will stick with it if you are telling me that this feature is coming soon. Not knowing which direction the copter is pointing when its out of sight is a big downside, especially without FPV. If you add this, it will be a BIG plus!
I guess I also have to learn the difference between the artificial and photographic views. Its my first day with the demo. :)
JS1

Post by JS1 »

Hi dronediva

I can second what ThomasC has written.
dronediva wrote:Thanks for your reply! Im assuming that by pointing out the upcoming detail view, you are saying that it will include the option to show which way the front of the copter is pointing?
Yes, actually even beter. V6 will include a small window with magnified image of the copter. That way you not only see the direction but also the full attitude of the copter.
dronediva wrote:I guess I also have to learn the difference between the artificial and photographic views.
The artificial scene is fully generated by the computer and every object like trees, boxes, hills, walls etc. was modelled in 3D. This allows the computer to calculate correct views for each position and so lets you move around in the fully virtual scene (FPV). This is what a regular flight simulator for planes usually does too, but requires high efforts to model a scene, high computing load and therefore usually less detailed and less realistic views.
At the moment HELI-X provides 3D scenes like "Heli Flying Field" and "Sportshall".

Photographic scenes have an environment made of high-res photos of a real place, projected to a box around you (so called "skybox", example). With the pilot position fixed from where the photos were taken you get the illusion of actually being in the scene, same views all around as the photopgrapher saw it. The environment here is truly photorealistic but of course needs a fixed position. If you would move around, the projected photos would get distorted (as in the example above). By nature this works very well for RC stuff where you usually stand in place. Most scenes in HELI-X use this technique (as most other RC sims too).
Modelling helis for Heli-X! See model build log here.
ThomasC

Post by ThomasC »

dronediva wrote:Thanks for your reply! Im assuming that by pointing out the upcoming detail view, you are saying that it will include the option to show which way the front of the copter is pointing?
Yes. See attachment
Heli-X v6 detail view
Heli-X v6 detail view
v6_preview.jpg (168.26 KiB) Viewed 10080 times
Have success :)

ThomasC
dronediva

Post by dronediva »

Thanks so much!
It looks perfect! That will make a big difference for avoiding flyaways.
Any estimated date for release? Any beta available for playing around?
Cheers!