Recovering a lost Heli

For questions regarding the models and airports / Bei Fragen zu Modellen und Airports
bishoplowe

Recovering a lost Heli

Post by bishoplowe »

I just recently started using the program and quite often lose sight of my Heli.

What are the techniques (if any) that can be used to recover or return a Heli when it has gotten so far you cannot tell its orientation?
Does anybody have any suggestions?
ThomasC

Re: Recovering a lost Heli

Post by ThomasC »

Good idea to train this. Heli-X can be programmed to display the Helicopter zoomed in a small window, but this is of no use in case you have to recover a real model. Try to use cyclic controls and see where the small black point on the horizon moves, then guess the orientation and fly back. It's simply a matter of training. More than once this saved me a 150 size helicopter from vanishing in the forest ;)

Have fun

ThomasC
bishoplowe

Post by bishoplowe »

I was hoping there was some special tips to do this. So far, all I have been doing is guessing. That dot is often lost somewhere out there and I haven't learned anything except I think I luck up and get it back. I don't want that to happen when I have a real one. But I will keep practicing.

Thanks for the encouragement.
JS1

Post by JS1 »

Train to not let it get that far that you can not identify orientation anymore. I found this was best achieved when starting out with a big 700 size heli and high visibility canopy & tail (such as Goblins, Mostro, Ecureuil, Logo 600 Hughes 500 etc.). Try to get controlled movements in any direction to always quickly return to you before losing sight. You can then go on to smaller helis as you progress - they are not only smaller and harder to spot, but also more sensitive. With practice you will also get a better anticipation of the heli.

Alternatively you can zoom in more, which obviously doesn't really solve the problem but helps a bit.

Also chosing an airfield with good contrast background to your heli (or fly high enough against the sky) could help. Check to use highest possible map resolution (upper right in airfield selection).

As it was said before, you need to master that for real flying too. Maintain control of your heli to keep it close enough. Be aware of background and orientation.
Modelling helis for Heli-X! See model build log here.
bishoplowe

Post by bishoplowe »

Thanks JSI

Thank you for your comments. I do believe these are good preventative techniques and I will adhere to them. However, my concern is in those situations when I do lose it on the simulator. What do I need to do to recover if this were to happen in actuality. My fears are that this could be very expensive.

Additionally, as a result of my concerns, I found this link to be of interest. I have as of yet to take considerable time to evaluate it to see if it will work. Perhaps, this might be a possible solution. If you have any comments I would certainly appreciate them.

http://youtu.be/gdoV_Xhk-7s
JS1

Post by JS1 »

Well a Phantom (or similar FC multicopter) is much easier to recover than a heli:
1. Phantom is attitude stabilized, meaning it will go into hover when let go of the sticks. A heli will almost certainly crash .
2. Phantom in reality has return-to-home by GPS function. Alternatively you could engage home-lock IOC and pull back on the cyclic.

Need to watch the video though, maybe that method is applicable for helis too...
Modelling helis for Heli-X! See model build log here.
ThomasC

Post by ThomasC »

@JS1: it is. Explains the method I already mentionned before - and after a while, it works. Gives you a great adrenaline rush in reality I can confirm ;D
Love the Lama

Post by Love the Lama »

this is an interesting problem that could be inadvertently fostered by a simulator. for skill transferability, of course always fly VLOS.

in norther america very recently, commercial UAV applications and recreational model pilots will have to conform to new FAA or Transport Canada rules. for those interested, there are now different "permission-to-fly" standards for TOW <=2kg; 2.1<TOW<25; TOW>25kg; and whether it is for commercial or recreational purposes. good information presented here:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/s ... c_id=hruzf

and

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/regse ... n/2879.htm

i also note that for helicopters "which will certainly crash" there are GPS stabilization products integrated into the rx/CVGyro (f.ex. the NAZA-H) .. but of course this is getting outside of the heli-x domain.

happy and safe flying , everyone.
Always slowly .. Always surely

SA315B Lama (Walkera4FM200L) RX2618V-D DEVO8s
AS350 Écureuil (RCASuperscale 700) AR7200BX DX9
MAAC#88108
Michael

Post by Michael »

When you lost your key, sen d an email.
Devil

Post by Devil »

bishoplowe wrote:
23 Oct 2014 03:40
I just recently started using the program and quite often lose sight of my Heli.
What are the techniques (if any) that can be used to recover or return a Heli when it has gotten so far you cannot tell its orientation?
Hi,
the solution is really easy: do not fly further than your eyes can see !
That goes for the simulator and for the real fly.
If you dominate the heli in sight, you will also the position detection which is important to get a heli back.
In real flight, unfortunately, there is no helicopter reload :mrgreen:
Greets,Michael
this text has been translated with google translator :lol: