Forum

Other Discussions / Alles andere
dmulligan

Forum

Post by dmulligan »

Hi Michael,

This forum is full of useful information but most of it is in German. I've looked around and there are a few mods for phpBB that will place a button on each page to pass the page through Google Translate. Of course we can do this ourselves but because of the extra effort I will generally only do it when I think I really want to read the page. I would love for you to add this.

Also a link to google translate from the developer page would be cool too.

Thanks,
David
Joerg

Re: Forum

Post by Joerg »

Sounds like a good idea to me. Altough the quality of Google's translations ranges from “useful” to “hilarious” at times. :D

If you're interested in any particular topic, you can also send me (or perhaps Michael? ;) ) a PM - I'd be glad to help (though not as fast as Google in translating, it might be more accurate).
Heli-X unter Mac OS X 10.5 auf einem 20" iMac
in echt: Thunder Tiger Mini Titan E325 + Gaui EP100
Michael

Post by Michael »

Hi,

yes, any help is appreciated. We need two things:

A language button so that the regsitration process is made in the language the user likes. And for users who are not registered, yet. It seems, this feature is not possible by standard phpBB.

And yes, we can try the google translation. Any hints?

BTW: It would be a funny test, to translate a sentence for and back several times. I wonder if this converges to a stable sentence, a fixpoint, as mathamticians say. I never tried.

Maybe, ths fixpoint is 42 ?? ;-)

Michael
hubschraubaer

Post by hubschraubaer »

Hi

Does the translation of two Babelfish end in a fixpoint?

Don't panic! :twisted:

CU
Stephan

P.S.: You could use the BabelFish Add-On for Firefox for easy access to translation engines. Just another way to deal with the multilingual problem.
Heli-X auf Ubuntu 9.10 -- in echt: Blade400 als Hughes500 Fun-Scale; T-Rex500; T-Rex250
dmulligan

Post by dmulligan »

There is no way to specify a language via a url parameter? Odd.

Would you like me to research google translating buttons/plugins for phpBB?

David
Michael

Post by Michael »

If you have experiences in phpBB, you can do. Otherwise, I should do it and I have to learn ist. I am not very experienced in implementing mods for phpBB up top now.

Thanks.

Michael
dmulligan

Post by dmulligan »

I am not experienced with phpBB. Jive yes but not phpBB. I am merely an experienced java developer who wants to read some german forum posts.
Joerg

Post by Joerg »

We're starting to discuss two different things now, I think. One is the language of the forum software (the reply-buttons etc.). There are mods that offer easy access to the language, e.g.

http://www.mssti.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=411

- which is mainly an advantage for the non-registered guests, since forum users can easily change the board language here: ucp.php?i=165 ("Meine Sprache" means "my language").

The other one would be a link to Google translate which sends the current URL to the translator. This is not complicated - there should either be a MOD for phpBB for that - or one could implement it by hand.
dmulligan

Post by dmulligan »

Before I started this thread I did a quick search and found two phpbb mods that sounded like they would do it.
Joerg

Post by Joerg »

Would you mind posting 'em? All I can find are phpBB2 mods (Michael's running phpBB3 here).